welcome

Catterick Garrison is a major garrison and town located 3 miles south of Richmond in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. It is the largest British Army garrison in the world with a population of around 13,000 and measuring over 2,400 acres, however under plans announced by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) in November 2005, the population of Catterick Garrison is expected to grow to over 25,000 by 2020, making it the largest population centre in the local area Catterick Garrison was once home to one Yorkshire’s largest cinemas, the “Ritz Cinema” was opened on 21 December 1940 and had over 1000 seats, it was closed on 2 July 1977 after declining usage, today, the site is used as a health and beauty salon.[8] Duchess of Kent Hospital is the local military hospital and medical centre that was opened on 6 October 1976. It was a replacement to the old hospital that was in existence before the Second World War. Foxglove Covert, a local nature reserve was the first of its kind in North Yorkshire and the first to be located on Ministry of Defence (MoD) land in the UK. It covers 100 acres of moorland edge, and was opened in 1992, in 2001 it was declared a “Site of Local Nature Conservation Importance (SLNCI)”.[9] In 2013 a £25 million development scheme for a new “town centre” was unveiled, to be built on a former sports ground, owned by the MoD. The plan includes space for retail outlets, a cinema, a 60 bedroom hotel and several dining establishments and bars, it is expected to create up to 700 jobs.

http://catterickgarrison.alternativemedia.tv

COMMENTS